Sunday, March 15, 2009

Amazing Race - Week 2

I made it to the next round of Mystical Scrapbooks' Amazing Race 2009. Our destination was Greenland. Funny that most of us thought, we'll be using the color green for this challenge. But here's what we were asked to do:

* To use the colors brown and white only (a tiny amount of black will be allowed for journaling only).
* Glitter or bling to represent the snow / ice.

Here's what I've created.



Title: Monkey Love
materials used:

1. white cardstock as base: unknown
2. patterned papers: Daisy Bucket Merry Wishes-Very Merry, Deck the Halls, In the Meadow-McKenna, Celeste, Sweet Marabella-Francesca, Loves Me, Loves Me Not-Pieces of my Heart and Scenic Route (kraft paper)
3. white blings: Prima
rub ons (words) and paper ribbon (polka dot brown): Daisy Bucket
4. felt flowers: Fancy Pants, Daisy Bucket, American Crafts
5. chipboard: Maya Road and American Crafts
6. ink: Colorbox
7. alpha stickers: Making Memories
8. brad: WRMK
9. brown pen: Sakura and Crayola
10. others: buttons

Journaling:
Ethan fondly calls him "Monkey". Ethan loves "Monkey" a lot! "Monkey" was a gift last Xmas. Ethan brings "Monkey" everywhere he goes. Ethan plays with "Monkey" and sleeps with him too.

Photography by Pia Lopez

At first, I thought the challenge here was the use of brown and white colors "only" in a layout. I love the color brown; I oftentimes use brown cardstock as base for my layouts but I have never tried brown with white. The process of gathering all brown and white papers and embellies was the fun part - I had to dig into my stash - all of it literally! It was a real mess after I made this layout. So, it wasn't that difficult pala ... brown and white goes well together. I feel so lucky having my Daisy Bucket papers. DBD has a number of brown (in different shades huh!) papers and even papers that both has brown and white on it!!!

The difficult part for me here was where to place the blings! I felt that the blings are in a way, quite off for the theme of this layout. I don't have stickles or any glitter too (and I wouldn't know where to place it anyway!). So after a few tries, I was able to put it somewhere ... there ... you'll find it hehehe.

I love this challenge! I remember when I made the Scrappin' Moms Idol Color Challenge (Monotone layouts-don't kill me please) before, I almost had the same requirements. I thought that in order to pull this challenge, the trick is to use photos with colors that are contrasting or complimentary.This is just my opinion though; this is however open to interpretations : ) When I was planning for my layout (Monkey Love), I was thinking of a color that would go nicely with brown. I thought that yellow compliments brown! Those 2 colors just pop!

Next challenge will be up soon ... that is, if I'm still in : )

Check out the rest of the entries here.

-Pia

No comments: